What changes are being made to Colombian local and mobile phone numbers and how does it affect my Vonage API account?
- Colombian Numbers
Between September and December 2021, the Colombian Communications Regulations Commission is implementing single national dialing throughout Colombia. This impacts Vonage users with local and mobile Colombian voice numbers.
Local and mobile Colombian numbers are changing to include 60 as the prefix before the area code.
- Existing number format: 5712345678
- New number format: 576012345678
The new number format will be usable and available in your Vonage API account as of 1 September 2021. Until 30 November 2021, both the old and new number formats will work. As of 1 December 2021, the old number format will be removed and will no longer work for local calls. International calls are expected to work with the old number format until 31 January 2022.
You will need to update your Colombian voice numbers wherever your users access them prior to 1 December 2021.
- If you have a Colombian number, you should update any website or other directory listings to reflect the additional prefix once the change is live.
- Create or copy apps onto your updated numbers between 1 September and 30 November 2021.
- If applicable, update any Colombian Caller Line Identification (CLI) instances used for outbound calls.
- In places where users access your number via hyperlink or dialer software, users may hear a dead line if the numbers are not updated in those locations by 30 November.
To allow for usage charges to be covered, a billed subscription will be applied to both your old and new number formats. You will receive monthly credit refunds of the cost of the additional numbers for September, October, and November 2021.
For more information, see the statement from the Colombian Communications Regulations Commission. If you have questions about this change, contact your account manager or submit a Support request.