Short codes are five to six digit numbers used to send SMS. Short codes are an approved A2P solution.
T-Mobile and Sprint delivery rates may be lower than other networks.
- Short Code routes support handset delivery receipts, binary and unicode encoding, long or concatenated messaging on most carriers.*
- There is no daily maximum of messages per day restriction on our short code routes and API requests will use your overall throughput allocation.
- All short codes must be in compliance with CTIA Guidelines.
- All short codes must be in compliance with TCPA.
The following are not allowed on any carrier.
- SHAFT: Sex, hate, alcohol, firearms, and tobacco content is strictly prohibited on all US number originators. Support of Programs that provide prohibited content is subject to permanent expiration of the entire Short Code, Long Virtual Number or Toll-Free Number or the specific Program. Vaping, marijuana, cannabis, or content relating to dispensaries falls under this prohibited content.
- Programs must operate according to all applicable federal and state laws and regulations. This is the only Sev 0 violation.
- These programs are also banned on all carriers:
- Illegal Substances (Cannabis)
- Fraud, Spam, and Phishing
- Deceptive Marketing
- Financial offerings, loan origination* and matching including:
- Payday loans
- Short-term loans
- Auto loans
- Mortgage loans
- Student loans
- Debt forgiveness, consolidation or reduction
- Investment Opportunities
- Affiliate lead or commission generation
- Credit repair programs
- Tax relief programs
- Work from home programs
- Get rich quick programs
*Exceptions may be considered for programs where content comes from direct lenders. Contact your account manager for more details.
T-Mobile, MetroPCS, and Sprint - Traffic Classification
Classify all short code traffic as business related traffic or A2P therefore delivery rates may be lower then other networks. T-Mobile and Sprint customers have the ability to opt out when they're signing up to avoid receiving marketing messages. Ultimately the customer needs to contact their provider and make a change to their service plan.
Verizon - Vaping
All vaping campaigns are not allowed.
AT&T and T-Mobile - Charity
Do not accept any SMS or MMS based campaign submissions that include any charitable donation element. Current “Text-To-Donate” campaigns will continue to be allowed. Campaign Submissions that include donation capabilities by being directed to a website for credit card donations or other methods, will not be approved.
T-Mobile Policy Update - Abandon Cart Notices
- Call to Action via website must include within the opt-in terms and conditions details that the message program includes shopping cart reminders.
- Shopping cart message programs must incorporate a double opt-in mechanism via text.
- Double Opt-in message content must clearly inform the user that the message program includes shopping cart reminders.
- Terms and conditions must reflect the new policy.
Delivery and Content Restrictions
- Text reminders must be sent within a 48 hour period and limited to one alert per unique abandoned cart.
- Abandoned cart notifications must not result in the eCommerce site completing the transaction on behalf of the consumer.
- Abandoned cart notifications must not collect payment information or accept approval for purchase via keyword confirmation from a consumer.
- Consumer must complete transaction by processing payment themselves via a direct URL link to the e-commerce website.
For more information, see the following articles: