Vonage supports Domestic and International enterprises SMS business to India.
To follow the regulations of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), domestic enterprises can submit A2P SMS through domestic connections to the end recipients only after successful registration of Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT).
Any enterprise that fails to pre-register Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) will become non-compliant and will not be able to send A2P SMS to the end recipient via domestic connections.
Please notice International Enterprises are not affected by this change.
Timeline information of the DLT implementation:
Phase-1: Lived on 1st June 2020. SenderID/Header Scrubbing.
Only DLT registered SenderIDs able to terminate SMS on domestic routes.
Entity Registration and Header Registration was mandatory.
Phase-2: Lived on 19th Nov 2020. PEID/Entity Unique ID Scrubbing.
PE ID is mandatory to provide along with the Header for successful SMS termination.
Entities have to start registering their Content and Consent Templates on the DLT Portal on which they have got their entities registered.
Phase-3: Live on 1st April 2021. Template/Content Scrubbing. (TRAI extended scrubbing live 7 days from 10th Mar)
Only DLT registered Templates, along with SenderID & PEID able to terminate SMS on domestic routes.
Similar to the Sender ID upload process, you need to upload these templates with any one operator DLT portal. Brand Name is mandatory to be included in the template registration content with effect from Oct 11, 2020. Following points to note for successful SMS delivery
- Please add your Brand name in your communication template if still not done.
- Accordingly, changes should be made to your applications also.
- The exact text should match from your application to suppliers to the DLT Platform.
- Only Approved Templates should be submitted/uploaded to the suppliers.
- Header Mapping against each template should be verified. Incase ‘X’ header is mapped on the DLT platform with a ‘Y’ text, then it should be used accordingly. If you wish to use any other header, Changes on the DLT platform should be done accordingly.
- The variable length in the text should not exceed 30 characters.
- If you need to use more than 30 characters in a variable, please add more variables accordingly.
- 30 characters per variable including the spaces and the content templates can be registered with variables in GSM (English) characters and in unicode (for local dialect characters)
Other info on DLT
As per TRAI’s regulations of DLT, during 21:00hrs – 10:00 hrs IST are set to be blocked for SMS delivery for end recipients who registered with Do Not Disturb Service (DND). In other words, promotional SMS can be delivered only between 10 hrs - 21 hrs IST.
Meanwhile, operators will stop supporting delivery notifications for messages sent via Promotional routes with Numeric headers. SMS delivery receipt for promotional traffic stopped support by operators since 9th Oct 2020.
This is a continuous endeavor to create a cleaner and transparent system in the Indian telecom industry and curb Unsolicited Commercial Communication (UCC) and an enhanced mobile subscriber policy. The new regulation can be accessed here.
Error Codes for DLT related issues
|50||DLT entity ID details are missing or wrong (includes null + invalid value)|
|51||DLT header ID (Sender ID) details are missing or wrong (the Sender IDs must be registered with suppliers but not with DLT platform)|
|52||DLT content ID details are missing or wrong|
|53||DLT error for consent|
|54||DLT generic error|
Complying with DLT and Vonage
1. Resister your Principal Entity, Headers, Templates in DLT portal using any one url below
https://www.vilpower.in - (Vodafone-Idea Ltd DLT URL)As per TRAI's new regulation, for SMS through domestic connections, all enterprise must register their Principal Entity, Headers, Templates with the Brand Name & provide consent on any one of the DLT systems below.
https://www.ucc-bsnl.co.in - (BSNL DLT URL)
https://dltconnect.airtel.in - (Airtel DLT URL)
https://trueconnect.jio.com/#/ - (Reliance JIO DLT URL)
2. Choose your approach on how to achieve regulatory compliance while submitting your messages to Vonage platform...
Option 1 (Preferred): You make a change and submit DLT required parameters at every request
- Make development changes at your end to maintain your Entity ID, Sender ID/Header and Templates as registered in DLT portal.
- Use additional Parameters as mentioned below in the APIs/SMPP properties to submit your messages to Vonage.
- Inform Vonage team firstname.lastname@example.org with SenderID to enable routing for option1.
- Send sms upon above setup confirmation.
Option 2: You let Vonage detect your template with zero change at your end
- Make ready your DLT approved PEID, SenderID, Template csv file.
- Send a request to email@example.com with DLT details as below to enable Option 2.
- Send sms upon above setup confirmation.
For option 2, All customers who have completed DLT registration are required to notify the Vonage API Support team with the following DLT information by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org :
- PEID- (Entity unique ID received from DLT after Entity registration Approved) :
- Entity name - (Company name under which registered on DLT) :
- Sender Name - (6 Alpha/Num Sender/Header which is registered in DLT and approved)
- Registered on - (The DLT platform information) :
- Template file - (as downloaded from the DLT portal template section) and saved as CSV format with the entityID as the file name. <entityid.csv>
Please notice Vonage is not responsible for domestic entities registering for DLT. We do not verify if domestic entities have provided their PED, template ID, and the sender ID correctly.
Vonage has added functionality within the Send SMS API endpoint or via SMPP to allow domestic entities to comply with the DLT regulation by providing both their PEID (unique entity ID) and the template ID for every SMS request made.
The API properties used in this endpoint are to be matched exactly as listed below:
- ‘entity-id’ parameter needs to be the DLT approved PE ID (unique Entity ID)
- ‘content-id’ parameter needs to be the DLT approved Template ID
- ‘from’ parameter needs to be the DLT approved Sender ID (Header ID)
If you use SMPP to send SMS messages with Vonage, the following fields apply:
- 0x1470 needs to be the DLT approved PE ID (unique Entity ID)
- 0x1471 needs to be the DLT approved Template ID
- The Sender ID needs to be the DLT approved Sender ID (Header ID)
By default, customers will fall into the domestic promotional(SMS without opted in) category with restrictions as mentioned below.
If you are an Int'l customer or have different SMS type as listed below, please contact your acc manager or write to email@example.com
|Traffic Type||Content Allowed||Sender ID||Restrictions/Regulation|
|Domestic Transactional||Transactional traffic, OTP||6 digit alpha with DLT pre-registration||No restrictions. 24/7 delivery without NDNC restrictions.
The registered Alpha Sender ID will be added with 2 letters as a prefix, depending on which carrier was used to deliver the SMS to the final operator or 2 random numbers; e.g., MD-XXXXXX (where XXXXXX is the registered Sender ID)
|6 digit numeric with DLT pre-registration||
Promo SMS will be blocked to numbers registered in NDNC as per TRAI regulation.
DLR not supported started since 9 Oct 2020
|International (transactional/Opted-in Promo)||
International originated transactional content & Opt-in Promo content.
(If the client registered in India, but the SMS message originated from outside India, it will be identified as International traffic).
|Sender ID not supported and will be changed to a random short/long virtual number||
For OTP/Transactional traffic mainly. For Opted-in promo, content needs whitelisting through your Account Manager before sending SMS.
SMS Delivered 24/7 via International route.
For opted-in promotional SMS, the same regulations apply as for Domestic Promotional (Opted in), listed below.
|International Promotional (without opt-in)||Promo/Marketing content||Not supported||
Delivery on best effort basis with shared SC from SMS partner.
10am-9pm(IST) delivery to non-NDNC customers only
DLR not supported from 9 Oct 2020
|Domestic Promotional (opted in)||This traffic can only be routed via special promo binds with opted in confirmations from each subscriber MSISDN||6 digit Alpha with DLT pre-registration||10am-9pm delivery with NDNC restriction but with alpha SID support.
However, handling party (customer) of the promo content must have subscriber opted in consent per each MSISDN and should provide the information to the providers handling the traffic either upfront or on-demand in an event if the termination party gets a complaint from a mobile operator (mobile subscriber complaining to the operator for receiving a promo content) as proof the subscriber has given consent to receive promo content. Failing to do so (not defined the actual time period) provider will be liable for penalty charges depend on the number of violations. Please refer to Schedule IV, Article 10 --> http://www.nccptrai.gov.in/nccpregistry/regulation1diccndiv.pdf for details. Need to have contractual provisions to accept the penalty charges in case of violation.
For enterprises that finished the DLT application successfully, the SMS Sender ID will be prefixed with an additional 2 letters, depending on the number belongs to which final operator. A full list of prefixes can be found here: India Pre-registered SenderID Prefixes
Alpha Sender ID is not supported for International customers and will be changed to a random shortcode.
Do Not Call Registry(NDNC)
Promotional SMS bared and will get blocked by operators to numbers those registered in the Indian NDNC (National Do Not Call registry).
Limitation to avoid potential SMS flooding
Local regulations specify limitations to the number of messages that can be sent to the same number:
- More than 6 messages to the same destination number within an hour with the same sender or text may be blocked.
- Users may not receive more than a total of 200 SMS per day across all incoming streams.
Unicode is supported.
Transactional/OTP Traffic: DLR is supported and its reliable delivery receipts.
Promotional Traffic: DLR is not supported. And/Or it's unreliable Network DR.
Traffic restriction by political reason:
Messages towards Jammu and Kashmir networks (example, 405/55 - Airtel J&K) will be blocked by the government due to political sensitivity.
Please also note that political SMS is prohibited during the election period throughout the country.
Please note that it is possible to also complete the registration of Alpha Sender IDs to other countries.
Please get in touch with your Account Manager to discuss processing Sender ID registration If you have more than 1 million messages a month.