The USA and Canada both have very specific messaging restrictions and a direct connection is necessary in order to ensure message delivery to the numerous networks. Nexmo uses an extremely high-quality, direct connection in order to deliver your SMS to the USA and Canada!
All SMS sent to the US must originate from either a U.S. pre-approved long number or short code that is associated with your Nexmo account.
Using Nexmo, p2p (person-to-person) traffic may be sent using a Nexmo US (or Canadian) long virtual number. Long virtual numbers are available here if you do not already own one.
A2P (application-to-person) traffic, such as bulk notifications, must be sent to the US via short code (*Note that Sprint and T-Mobile are heavily blocking Short Code traffic). Nexmo has a number of pre-approved use-case short codes that can be used via our US short code API's . (**Note that Nexmo US short codes cannot be used to send SMS to Canada or other countries) If none of our pre-approved short code use-cases are appropriate we can assist you in the application process for a dedicated short code.
While Google Voice numbers are reachable through Nexmo, we do not provide reach to other virtual number providers due to fraud prevention purposes. If you have any particular business case where you would like to be able reach virtual numbers, please contact our Support team with details about your use case.
Long virtual numbers
The feature restrictions for long-virtual-number originators are as follows:
- Limited numeric sender only --> In the “from” field you need to specify your pre-approved US virtual number in international format e.g. 18479121345 (available in the Numbers tab) . Otherwise your message will get rejected with reject code 15 Illegal Sender Address - rejected.
- Network delivery receipts are supported (Carriers do not send handset delivery receipts).
- Binary and VCard are not supported.
- Long/concatenated SMS and unicode are supported by us, but we cannot guarantee delivery across all the local carriers.
- Euro symbol (€) and some accented characters are not supported.
- You may send a maximum of 1 SMS per second and per virtual number in the US and Canada due to local carriers regulations. If you send messages more quickly, the message(s) will be rejected. If you require higher throughput, you can purchase more numbers and spread your traffic across your numbers. E.g. 10 numbers = 10 SMS per second.
- Maximum of roughly 500 messages per day and per long virtual number. If this is exceeded your number will be blocked and will no longer work. Carriers will expect traffic to be bi-directional.
- Repetitive URL's and keywords in the SMS body of long codes will be blocked by the carriers.
- Short Code routes support handset delivery receipts, binary and unicode encoding, long/concatenated messaging on most carriers.
- There is no daily maximum of messages per day restriction on our short code routes and API requests will use your overall throughput allocation.
Toll Free SMS Numbers
- Toll Free number routes support handset delivery receipts, binary and unicode encoding, long/concatenated messaging on most carriers.
- There is no daily maximum of messages per day restriction on our Toll Free number routes and API requests will use your overall throughput allocation.
- You will be charged for outbound and inbound SMS.
The attachment below includes a comparison between the different products offered by Nexmo to send SMS to the U.S.
Social Invites: According to advice received, we believe that social invites are problematic in the US if multiple human interaction steps are not involved. The individual user should be able to decide who to send, when to send, and what to say.
AT&T do not allow SMS with content of financial offerings and SMS of this content will be blocked by their spam filter. This includes SMS related to loans, debt consolidation, investment, credit repair, tax relief and work from home programs.
*Sprint and T-mobile have a high amount of short code blocking. Because of this, Sprint and T-mobile mobile destinations are delivered via a pool of Nexmo owned long codes for our shared shortcode 2FA API.
**Nexmo's 2FA and Alerts pre-approved short code API's can reach Canada mobile phone numbers since we can identify the destination number and change the sender ID as needed (via a pool of US long codes).
Local Reach - Yes
International Reach - No (Only within NANP)
SMS only - No
Voice only - No
SMS & Voice - Yes
Available via - API