How does Nexmo investigate SMS delivery problems?
Can you investigate failed delivery of a single SMS?
How many failed SMS is considered a problem?
When a Nexmo customer opens a case regarding SMS deliverability problems, our Support team investigates this through multiple troubleshooting steps, such as:
- Validation of the message request
- Review of the relevant error code provided through the SMS delivery receipt
- Comparison with the list of supported features in the relevant country
- Analysis of delivery statistics for the route used on that message.
- Review of overall performance indicators towards that destination network
Often, these steps are not enough to identify the exact reason why delivery of a message could have failed. In those cases, the next step is to open a case with the relevant route provider.
Unfortunately, our multiple route providers would rarely open an investigation in cases where only one specific number is involved. We are required to provide details of at least three numbers facing problems in the last 72 hours. The ultimate reason for this requirement is to differentiate handset specific problems -the most common scenario- from route-related incidents.
If you are concerned with any particular delivery problem, please open a ticket with our Support team, ideally with as many examples and details as possible.